You may be familiar with limescale, a substance that can build up in appliances such as steam mops and kettles. Did you know that it can also build up in your shower head? This build up not only increases the chance of dirt accumulating, but it can negatively affect the performance of your shower as it physically blocks water from streaming out of the head. Here are some quick and easy home remedies to descale your shower head in no time.
#1. White Vinegar Soak
White vinegar, also known as distilled vinegar, is a common household cleaning solution. Its acidic properties make it a top choice to tackle limescale. Here’s how you can use it to descale a shower head:
- Fill a plastic bag with white vinegar.
- Secure the bag around the shower head with a rubber band or zip tie.
- Allow the shower head to soak in vinegar overnight.
- Remove the bag and scrub the shower head with a soft brush or toothbrush.
- Rinse thoroughly with water.
#2. Lemon Juice Soak
If you’re looking for a more natural cleaning solution, then why not try lemon juice? Lemons and lemon juice can be used as a household cleaning remedy for stubborn stains and limescale with it’s natural acidic properties.
- Fill a plastic bag with lemon juice (or use fresh lemon slices).
- Secure the bag around the shower head.
- Let it soak for a few hours.
- Scrub the shower head and rinse thoroughly.
#3. Baking Soda Paste
Baking soda is also a popular choice for cleaning. It has mild abrasive properties, is a natural disinfectant, and is also a good deodoriser (this means it can get rid of any smells from the shower head). To use it to descale your shower head, try this:
- Mix baking soda with equal parts of water to form a paste.
- Apply the paste to the shower head.
- Let it sit for 15-20 minutes.
- Scrub with a brush and rinse.
#4. Shop-bought or commercial descaler
If you don’t have household cleaning remedies to hand, you can also opt for a commercial descaler. They are available from a variety of retailers. These solutions are designed with the purpose of breaking down limescale and providing great cleaning results. To use commercial descaler, try the following:
- Follow the instructions on the product packaging. These will vary depending on the descaler used.
- It usually involves dissolving a tablet in water and soaking the shower head.
- Rinse thoroughly after the recommended time.
#5: Boiling water
Sometimes descaling doesn’t need to be complicated. You can remove limescale with boiling water and some elbow grease. Here’s how:
- Remove the shower head.
- Submerge it in a pot of boiling water.
- Let it soak for 15-20 minutes.
- Put on some protective gloves to keep your hands free from the hot water.
- Scrub and rinse.
With these simple home remedies, you can get your shower head descaled effectively. This means you can be confident in the cleanliness and performance of your shower.